On the first part of this tutorial we have discussed about some registry hacks and other tweaks to speed up Windows 7. In this part we shall see some freely available tools to do many tweaks to our Windows 7 instantly without even letting us doing a single thing. All these tools are collected from all over the net and the source is also enclosed. Anyways, coming straight to the topic, in this part we shall discuss the following Topics
- Removing Watermark from the bottom right corner
- Clear tuning Fonts using ClearType
- Applying Mass registry tweaks at once using a single registry file
- Burning CDs and DVDs using the default Windows interface
- Installing Tweak Now Power pack under Windows 7 and using its benefits.
Please read below to get detailed instructions
Every build of Windows 7 has a watermark at the bottom right corner. The reason behind this is to allow developers and Testers to differentiate different builds. Anyways we are not going to develop Windows 7 [Well not me at least!!] so its time for us to remove them. Basically there have been many version of Watermark remover. The current build of Windows 7 is 7100 so we are going to discuss about the program to remove watermark from this version of Win7. Applying the same patch over other builds may also work but are not tested. Whereas the program we are going to share does the job for this build automatically. Just follow these steps
- Download the Windows watermark remover script from BlogsDNA. Click Here to download.
- Unzip it and simply run the script by Right Click > Run as Administrator. The script will then automatically go for the entire process of removing the watermark
- Reboot your Windows 7 to complete the process.
Tune and Soothe Text Rendering (via ClearType)
This is a must to do tweak after installing Windows 7 on a laptop or a PC with LCD/TFT monitor. ClearType renders your screen font to soothe your eye thus making your text more readable. Here is what you need to do.
- Open Start menu and Type cttune on the Search Field. Open up the Program
- Now all what you need to do is follow the simple on screen Wizard instruction.
- Once satisfied click finish and see the difference
Apply Mass Registry Tweaks at once
We have collected some registry files from the Net which on activating will give you the following beneficial feature in one click…
- Adds "Copy To" and "Move To" options in files and folders context menu, so that you can easily copy and move them to other locations.
- Sets Windows to automatically end task of programs which are either hanged or taking longer time than expected to exit.
- Decreases menus show delay time, it’ll show the sub-menus fast when you select their parent menu.
- Disables the low disk space check so that you don’t get the annoying low disk space notification in system tray.
- Sets Windows to not waste time in searching for a program which no longer exists in your system when you try to open its shortcut.
- Disables "search on Internet" prompt in "Open with" window so that it directly opens the program list.
- Speeds up the Explorer navigation.
- Adds "Take Ownership" option in files and folders context menu so that you can easily take ownership of files and folders in case you want to replace them for customization purpose
Here is what you need to do:
- Simply download this 3 KB ZIP file from box.net (Click on the link to start download)
- Unzip it (Right Click > Extract) and open the folder. You will find two files namely Windows 7 Registry Tweaks and Restore Default Windows 7 Settings
- Double click on the Windows 7 Registry Tweaks and click ok to proceed. All the tweaks mentioned above will get incorporated automatically.
- If you ever feel to restore settings back, can also run the Restore Default Windows 7 Settings Registry file. This will restore your system back to initial state
Burn CDs/DVDs using the default Program
You might not be knowing this but Windows7 comes with a very much simple and basic Image burner software. So you don’t just need to download any malware infected free softwares any more. Simply double click on any of your image file and the software will start guiding you through the burning process.
And finally a Power pack…
Install Tweak now Power Pack to Fine tune Win7
TweakNow PowerPack is a fully-integrated suite of utilities that let you fine-tune every aspect of your computer’s operating system and Web browser. Here is a short list of features
- The RAM Idle program manages the free memory that is available to run Windows programs. It prevents performance from degrading as you swap files and programs in and out of memory.
- The AutoShutdown program lets you suspend, hibernate, or shut down your computer after a specified period of time. In addition to saving resources, this program keeps your system more secure by making it unavailable to unauthorized people.
- The CD AutoRun is an extension of Windows’ CD and DVD autorun features, giving you additional options for starting programs or listening to music.
- The Virtual Desktop program lets you run as many as four custom-designed desktop configurations simultaneously, allowing you to tailor your computer screen to your mood and your work requirements.
So it is a must have Suite for everyone. Download it from the source given below:
That much for this part! On the next part we shall talk about some secret and hidden things under Windows 7