BSNL is one of the best Internet Service Provider available in India. It gives a 2mbps connection with unmetered bandwidth during night, at really reasonable prices. Although the service of BSNL is pretty good, but the worst part is in the initial setup. Even if you have your username and password and your link is connected then also, you can not get connected to broadband without proper setting of your ADSL modem and LAN.
For this setup, BSNL modem comes with a CD, which frankly speaking, is the worst manual I have ever seen. We have to wait for almost a week for the BSNL guys to come at our home and do the necessary configuration.
So today we are going to share A-Z everything you need to know to properly configure your BSNL Modem and LAN without the BSNL guys . The next time you format your PC, you don’t have to wait for a long time to reactivate your net. You can make it directly using this tutorial…
#1: Configuring your ADSL Modem:
This is the most important part and requires only one time customization. Once done, you don’t need to do it again even if you format your PC. Do this only if you are connecting to internet for the first time. If you have formatted your PC then directly jump to Step2, as this is already done in your Modem.
- Connect your Modem using Ethernet or USB cable and wait for the PC/USB light to flash constantly. This means that the Modem has successfully integrated to your LAN system.
- Now open up a Browser, Firefox or Internet Explorer and in the Address Bar type http://192.168.1.1/ . This will take you to the Modem Configuration page. Enter username: admin and password: admin when prompted. If it fails to authenticate then check your BSNL manual to get the username and password.
- Now Click on the “Internet Connection” tab on the left. This will lead you to a page like this… click to enlarge
- Delete any PPPoE connection you notice on that page. By default BSNL Modem comes with an active PPPoE setup which we need to delete. Just press the delete Tab after the configuration.
Now we need to create a Bridge connection with proper settings to make a dial-up settings through LAN. It is very much simple… Just follow the steps…
- Click on the “Add” button on that page. This will bring you a wizard to create a new Protocol.
- Enter the following settings in Configure ATM PVC… Now click “Next”;
- On “Connection Type” page switch the Protocol to Bridging and click “Next”;
- Now finally click Next one more time and on the “Summary” page click Apply.
You are all done on the modem part. Simply Switch off the Modem and Switch on it again to apply the new settings and then move to the next step…
#2: Configuring your LAN Setting:
I will give both Windows XP and Windows 7 /Vista method. But the screenshot will be of only of Win7.
- Go to Control Panel > Network and Sharing center > Change Adapter Settings [From the left sidebar of the control panel window in windows7] and Right Click your Local Area Network and select Properties.
In Windows XP you simply open the “Network Connections” and right click and access the properties of the Local Area Network.
- Now on properties, make sure that “Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4)” is checked. Double click on it to acce
ss the properties.
- Now enter the following details in the respective fields. Hit OK and you are done.
- In Windows XP, there is only a “Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)” checkbox. Make sure to check it and access its properties and do the necessary things as stated above.
- Save all the settings and you are done configuring your LAN.
#3: Connecting to the BSNL Broadband:
Everything is done now. Only thing left is making a dial-up connection to your High-Speed Internet. Simply follow these instruction:
- On Windows7/Vista go to Control Panel > Network and Sharing Center > Set up a New connection or Network.
- Select the first option, i.e, Setup a Wireless, Broadband or Dial-up and hit “Next”.
- Select the Broadband PPPoE and enter your username, password provided to you by BSNL. Also name the connection accordingly (say, BSNL BB).
- Now simply connect to internet and you are done. Also make a shortcut to your desktop for easy access.
- That was for Windows7/Vista. For XP the method is almost the same. You need to access the wizard from Network Connections > Network Tasks > Create a new connection. You can find more info about this from here.
So that was a complete tutorial related to BSNL Broadband connectivity and setup. I hope it was useful for you. Do give us your feedback. Also if you face any problem, feel free to ask!